Wednesday, August 26, 2015

“Not my will, but Thine be done…” (Matthew 6:10)

Many times we can ascertain God’s will from His word, and pray His word with confidence knowing we are praying His will. However; there are other times we can not.


This has been on my mine since the recent protest in Charlotte, NC over a policeman’s trial. Many times I heard people say, “We are trusting God that justice will be done.”


When the verdict ended in a mistrial, protesters were in front of the court house along with their signs and protesting that justice had  indeed not been done.


This reminded me of many of my own prayers when I believed I was turning things over to God, but became upset when things did not work out as I wanted.


In truth, my mouth was saying, “Let Your will be done,” while my heart was crying, “Let my will be done.” In this I was wavering like a storm upon the ocean. How dare I try to dictate to God what I wanted to happen and then hold Him responsible for the outcome!


Luke 9:54 tells us the disciples felt the same way. They wanted to call down fire from heaven and destroy Nineveh when the people rejected Jesus.


In verse 55 Jesus rebuked them saying, “…You do not know what manner of spirit you are of,” and this spirit was not the Holy Spirit.


Again we can see in the story of Jonah how God asked him to go to Nineveh to people he hated and wanted them to be removed from the face of the earth. His assignment: preach repentance, return to God and be saved.


Jonah, the prophet of God, rebelled against God and ran the other way. Then through his encounter with the belly of the big fish he repented and the fish spit him out. He obeyed the Lord, although begrudgingly and Nineveh was saved.


God’s ways are not our ways. His goals are higher and very different from our ways of thinking and acting. In sending Jesus to die for our sins and restore us to Himself we see His will is always about repentance, salvation and restoration.


In Matthew 5:11 Jesus tells us “Blessed are you when men shall revile you and persecute you and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely for my sake.” (Matthew 6:9-13)


This does not sound like a blessing. However; blessed means empowered to succeed. Who does the empowering? God does. 


In Romans 12:19 Jesus reminds us, “Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.” 


God's got us even when it does not look like things are going as they should. This is where faith comes in. It isn't over until it is over. God is working things out for our good and His glory. (Romans 8:28)


Today I ate of His word, His body that shows me just how much I need Jesus in every situation in my life, and He is here.


I drank of His blood that heals my soul and restores righteousness within my heart. 


May your soul be restored as you eat and drink of the blessed One today!

Blessings on your day!

 

Karen


 

No comments:

Post a Comment