Monday, November 2, 2015

Bless the Lord, O my soul. (Psalm 103:1)

Have you ever wondered how to bless the Lord? 

I believe I have found an answer.

Sunday I taught the lesson from Acts 12. The story takes place following Passover, during the Feast of Unleavened Bread.

After showing the class Matzo (unleavened bread), I quoted the prayer Jesus said over the Last Supper when He took the bread and blessed it.

According to Jewish tradition He would have prayed “Praised (or blessed) are You, Lord our God, Sovereign (or Creator) of the universe, who brings forth bread from the earth." 

This was a prophetic prayer referring to how God would raise the Messiah from the dead.

This morning the Lord pointed out to me that Jesus did not bless the bread. He blessed the giver of the bread. This had never occurred to me.

I believe that to bless the Lord means to give Him praise and thanksgiving for the things He has done. In doing so, we are acknowledging God for who He is and giving Him honor, praise and thanksgiving for all He has done for us.

Psalm 92:1 begins with, “It is a good thing to give thanks unto the Lord, and sing praises unto Your name, O most High.”

Many of the Psalms begin by exalting the name of God and extolling what He has done.

Let us bless the Lord today for raising Jesus the Christ from the dead. He lives! Amen!

Blessings on your day!

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment